Still Life from Quimper

Still Life from Quimper
A shot of an almost-completed still life needlepoint

Welcome to my Blog

So very happy you came to visit. Now, pull up a chair, pour a glass of your favorite beverage, and read on about adventures in needlework.

Monday, February 4, 2008

On the Wild Sock Ride

Well, I've sent out the invitations for the Annetrelac Knitalong, including the links to this blog and to the Interweave Press pattern download, and I'm really, really getting excited about this whole thing! I mean, the Yahoo Group has been a great vehicle to promote the shop, but this is the time that a group of us from the shop, customers and staff, are going to be able to do something together - suffer, I mean, create a pair of socks from a challenging pattern, and each of us will share our experiences: our choice of yarn, our reading the pattern, our figuring out how the pattern works, our cursing, our successes, etc. I'm really looking forward to seeing it all come together.

So today, I'll take my camera into work and take a photo of the yarn I'm going to use. When the latest shipment of Anne yarn came in last month, there were several subtle shades in addition to the colors that were brown with a splash of teal, or multi-blue -red and -green. I chose a red that has very subtle shading, to see how the effect of entrelac knitting will show up on the entrelac portion of the sock.

To all the others on this blog, why did you choose the color you chose?

And one more thing to think about - Betsy, late of Cast-On Cottage, came by the shop on Thursday to drop off some brochures for her knitting week at Sweet Briar, called "Lace at Sweet Briar," in June. There are several different styles of lace being taught that week, and she is teaching the knitted lace seminar. I remember back in 2000 or 2001 (is the project really THAT old??) she taught entrelac at Cast-On, and one of the neat things about entrelac is that the rows are so short, you can actually knit backwards. I may have gotten myself into a hole here, but I'm going to try to remember how to knit backwards to share with the others in this group. If I can't, I might be able to convince Betsy to stop by the shop for a one-evening seminar on this technique. I'm sure she'd be thrilled, and she's always been a fantastic teacher.

OK, well, I'll head into the shop with yarn and camera now. This is going to be one wild ride!

2 comments:

Woofgangpug said...

As for the year, I moved to ATL in 2001 and took that entrelac class. We knit a gorgeous vest that I wish I could fit into. So, yes, 2001 was the year.

Nease's Needlework said...

Yes, yes it was 2001. That was the class where we learned how to knit backwards. I think I still have the right side of that vest unfinished, in part because I couldn't decide if I wanted to make the back in the pink or the yellow that the front is knit in. Thanks for confirming the year!